The right candidate will have a 'boots-on-the-ground' mentality (not 100% office-based) and will be looking to progress their career with help from internal mentors.
The client actively encourages CPD and has funded further studies for their employees in the past.
The sectors in which our client operate in are: Drainage, Earth Works, Roads, and Structures. Please do not apply unless you have experience in any of the above.
- Travelling between sites (this could be anything south of the M25)
- Checking base stations and site control prior to commencement of works and at regular intervals during currency of project.
- Carry out pre-start OGL surveys as agreed with survey department.
- Request appropriate information from client's representative via RFI's.
- Extract setting out data from drawings (electronic or hardcopy), schedules or instructions and set out works to the required accuracy.
- Communicate setting out control to site operatives clearly (ie height above finished levels, gradients, etc).
- Record dimensions of hard breakout, soft spots, calculate Volumes etc as directed by the Site Agent or the site QS
- Oversee junior engineers/trainees in their day to day site activities.
- Provide information to operatives to assist them to construct the works (ie manhole schedules, drainage track sheets, etc)
- Record as-built information for Health and Safety File (ie invert levels, lateral and duct locations, etc) and forward to Survey department for final drawing up.
- Maintain Engineers Site File of setting out information, calculations, etc.
- Ensure setting out equipment is properly maintained and calibrated in accordance with company procedures.
- Supersede drawings as new drawings are issued.
- Record any instructions to confirm or change setting out information via CVI's.
- Engineers need to be mindful of the contract programme and set out in accordance.
- Keep a Continuing Professional Development File (CPD)
- Upload relevant information to A-site (cloud based web system)
- Carry out, record any pre and post material checks
- Assist junior engineers/trainees in the planning of their day to day site activities.
- Provide guidance and training to assist the development of junior/trainee engineer
- Be able to provide (if time permits) Risk Assessments, method Statements and permits
- To ensure that not only is the As-built information recorded and passed to the Survey department for drawing up, but that the final As-Built drawings are produced in a timely fashion for the Health and safety file
- Be prepared to involve themselves with pre-start design checking and on going design development during the construction phase.
- Preferably will have at least HNC qualification but working knowledge and experience equally relevant
- Able to read and understand construction drawings.
- Capable of using Total Station Survey and GNSS equipment
- Relevant engineering software i.e. Auto CAD
Hours and Environment
Working hours for this role are generally 7.30am to 5.30pm Monday to Friday inclusive but subject to site hours and requirement.