Department: Operations Reports to: Regional Manager
Main Purpose of Job:
- To manage day to day operational site control of contracts of varying sizes within the UK, focusing on safety, quality, productivity, cost control, performance to programme and customer service.
- To maintain commercial awareness ensuring the Company is not exposed financially and to achievement of full margins from operational activities.
- To manage contracts such that they perform in line with budget and to maintain a motivated, effective and safety conscious workforce.
- To ensure good client relations and that clients requirements are met, to maximise opportunity for repeat business.
- Assist Contracts/Operational Management in allocating rigs and labour to contracts and ensuring efficient use of resources.
- Meeting clients/clients representatives (e.g. project manager/CDM co-ordinator) at pre-contract stage where required by attending pre-contract meetings.
- Communicating contract/clients requirements to subordinate engineers and site teams.
- On-site and remote supervision and management of multiple contract works ensuring the works are carried out correctly, efficiently (on programme), safely and in accordance with the contract specification (including technical guidance) and Company quality procedures.
- Produce/Approve safety documentation (including CDM Safety Plan) where required, method statements and quality plans as required.
- Provide assistance to management team, in liaison with safety, quality, commercial and estimating departments.
- Procurement of plant & equipment for contracts where required.
- Ensuring plant and equipment is suitable, efficiently utilised, on & off hired promptly and not abused.
- Assisting Senior Management with procurement/appointment & control of Subcontractors including ensuring required safety and work standard is attained.
- Review and sign off sub-contractor payment certificates where required.
- Direct, where required, borehole location and sampling, specifying and interpreting in-situ testing, preparation and review of laboratory test schedules, control of samples, preparation (where required) and checking of contract technical output (borehole logs & test results).
- Direct, where required, drilling & grouting contracts (including specialist grouting techniques), establishment of grid/borehole locations, execution of grouting works, grout production, quality control, sampling, preparation and review of laboratory test schedules, preparation (where required)
- and checking of correct technical output (drilling & grouting records).
- Production of contract reports, (writing and compilation of reports).
- Produce weekly internal timesheets, where required, from current contracts prior to submission to Contracts Manager/Payroll.
- Monitor weekly progress against programme requirements, establishing weekly contract values, costs and sub contract liabilities.
- Ensure required site outputs and reports are produced (progress/safety/commercial/quality).
- Financially review contracts, where required, with Senior Management, to obtain optimum progress and returns.
- Progress the works, and attend progress meetings with client/clients representatives as required.
- Oversee contract correspondence and ensure that it is dealt with.
- Notify Principal Engineering Geologist/Contracts Manager of any issue likely to impact contracts particularly relating to Safety/Programme/Commercial Issues/Technical Output.
- Liaison with Principal Engineering Geologist/Contracts Manager/Commercial Department as required/production of monthly measurements/ applications.
- Provide feedback to relevant departments to assist with pricing, programming and on site operations.
- Liaison with lab and support staff to ensure client receive out put within the allowed contract periods.
- Encourage best practice.
- Identify and pursue cost reduction and efficiency initiatives with subordinate engineers and site teams.
- Produce monthly applications for payment and relevant weekly cost sheets/monthly CVR's as required.
- Knowledge and Experience Required:
- Civil Engineering / Geology related Degree or equivalent qualification.
- Significant experience within the geotechnical industry with solid understanding of ground conditions, Drilling and Site Investigation works.
- Good understanding of geotechnical processes and contract management.
- Excellent understanding of written English and good standard of letter writing.
- Strong IT skills, including Microsoft office, database maintenance and reporting.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Good interpersonal skills to liaise with clients and members of the regional team.
- Commercial knowledge and experience/level of contractual awareness.
- Good customer-service focus and a professional approach.
- Full UK driving licence.
Physical Working Environment:
Based out of one of our Regional Offices (Leeds or Glasgow). The role involves frequent travel throughout the UK, visiting sites, including periods of site based work where required.
If you are interested in this role and would like to know more then please Contact Tom Parkes
01442 898 900 or 07585 554 586