Reports to: Chief Engineer
Main Purpose of the Job
To provide design information and technical advice in all disciplines for estimating and construction purposes within the Group.
- Prepare robust yet competitive designs in accordance with Works Procedures. Designs to cover bearing piles and retaining walls (secant/contiguous/diaphragm walls), and use all techniques (CFA, rotary, minipile).
- Provide technical and design support to all BSL departments. This will require both the ability to work as an individual and as part of a team depending on the project.
- Attend external meetings with Clients as part of tendering teams.
- Contribute to the continued improvement of the design process within the department.
- Keep up to date with current technological and design developments through Continuing Personal Development.
- Mentoring students and graduate designers.
- Support Chief Engineer in maintaining assurance levels through ensuring internal procedures are followed, and involvement in internal and external audits.
Knowledge and Experience required
- Chartered Engineer or close to chartered status with a Degree or Masters level qualification.
- Preferably 10 years or more direct experience in the design and construction of deep foundations.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate verbally and in written form both internally and externally.
- Detailed working knowledge of the latest geotechnical and structural design methods and design codes along with their application in the design of piles and embedded retaining walls.
- Good knowledge of software packages such as WALLAP, Oasys suite (Adsec, Adcol).
- Ability with Finite Element software not required but would be advantageous.
- Good working knowledge of construction processes, methods and site practices.
- Understanding of designer's role and responsibilities under current legislation.
- Ability to identify, assess and highlight technical and commercial risks.
- Physical Working Environment
Office based in Lancashire, within travel to sites and external meetings as required.
If you are interested in this role and would like to know more then please apply or Contact Tom Parkes