Reports to: Regional Manager
Main Purpose of Job:
To manage day to day operational control of multiple contracts of all sizes, focusing on safety, quality, productivity, cost control, performance to programme and customer service.
To maintain commercial awareness ensuring the Company is not exposed financially and to achievement of full margins from operational activities.
To manage contracts such that they perform in line with budget and to maintain a motivated, effective and safety conscious workforce.
To ensure good client relations and that clients requirements are met, to maximise opportunity for repeat business.
Support and mentor junior and senior level engineers.
- Assist Contracts and Operational Management in allocating rigs and labour to contracts and ensuring efficient use of resources.
- Meeting clients/clients representatives (e.g. project manager/CDM co-ordinator) at pre-contract stage where required by attending pre-contract meetings.
- Communicating contract/clients requirements to subordinate engineers and site teams. (including allocation of individual contract roles and responsibilities).
- On-site and remote supervision and management of multiple contract works ensuring the works are carried out correctly, efficiently (on programme), safely and in accordance with the contract specification (including technical guidance) and Company quality procedures.
- Produce/Approve safety documentation (including CDM Safety Plan) where required, method statements and quality plans as required.
- Provide assistance to site management team, in liaison with safety, quality, commercial and estimating departments.
- Procurement of plant & equipment for contracts.
- Ensuring plant and equipment is suitable, efficiently utilised, on & off hired promptly and not abused.
- Procurement/Appointment & control of Subcontractors including ensuring required safety and work standard is attained.
- Assist with training junior staff on and offsite.
- Review and sign off sub-contractor payment certificates.
- Direct, where required, borehole location and sampling, specifying and interpreting in-situ testing, preparation and review of laboratory test schedules, control of samples, preparation (where required) and checking of contract technical output (borehole logs & test results).
- Direct, where required, drilling & grouting contracts (including specialist grouting techniques), establishment of grid/borehole locations, execution of grouting works, grout production, quality control, sampling, preparation and review of laboratory test schedules, preparation (where required) and checking of correct technical output (drilling & grouting records).
- Quality checking logs and factual reports generated by others prior to issue to the client.
- Production of contract reports, (writing, compilation, checking and issue of reports).
- Review weekly internal timesheets from current contracts and set production targets to site teams prior to submission to Contracts Manager/Payroll.
- Monitor weekly progress against programme requirements, establishing weekly contract values, costs and sub contract liabilities.
- Ensure required site outputs and reports are produced (progress/safety/commercial/quality).
- Financially review contracts with Senior Management, to obtain optimum progress and returns.
- Monitor financial and commercial performance of allocated contracts.
- Progress the works, and attend progress meetings with client/clients representatives as required.
- Oversee contract correspondence and ensure that it is dealt with.
- Liaison with commercial department and following up works through to final account settlement (including production of monthly applications).
- Provide feedback to relevant departments to assist with pricing, programming and on site operations.
- Encourage best practice.
- Identify and pursue cost reduction and efficiency initiatives with subordinate engineers and site teams.
- Review monthly applications for payment and final account applications.
- Preparation of relevant weekly cost sheets/monthly CVR's.
Knowledge and Experience Required:
Civil Engineering / Geology related Degree or equivalent qualification.Significant experience within the geotechnical industry with solid understanding of ground conditions, Drilling and Site Investigation works.
Good understanding of geotechnical processes and contract management.
Excellent understanding of written English and good standard of letter writing.
Strong IT skills, including Microsoft office, database maintenance and reporting.
Excellent communication skills.
Good interpersonal skills to liaise with clients and members of the regional team.
Commercial knowledge and experience / level of contractual awareness.
Good customer-service focus and a professional approach.
Full UK driving licence.
Physical Working Environment:
Based out of one of our Regional Offices (Leeds, Coatbridge or Camberley). The role involves frequent travel throughout the UK, visiting sites, including periods of site based work where required.
If you are interested in this role and would like to know more then please Contact Tom Parkes
01442 898 900 or 07585 554 586