Reports to: Chief Engineer
Main Purpose of the Job
To provide design information and technical advice in all disciplines for estimating and construction purposes within the Group.
- Prepare robust yet competitive designs in accordance with Works Procedures. Designs to cover bearing piles and retaining walls (secant/contiguous/diaphragm walls), and use all techniques (CFA, rotary, minipile).
- Provide technical and design support to all BSL departments. This will require both the ability to work as an individual and as part of a team depending on the project.
- Attend external meetings with Clients as part of tendering teams.
- Contribute to the continued improvement of the design process within the department.
- Keep up to date with current technological and design developments through Continuing Personal Development.
- Mentoring students and graduate designers.
- Support Chief Engineer in maintaining assurance levels through ensuring internal procedures are followed, and involvement in internal and external audits.
Knowledge and Experience required
- Chartered Engineer or close to chartered status with a Degree or Masters level qualification.
- Preferably 10 years or more direct experience in the design and construction of deep foundations.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate verbally and in written form both internally and externally.
- Detailed working knowledge of the latest geotechnical and structural design methods and design codes along with their application in the design of piles and embedded retaining walls.
- Good knowledge of software packages such as WALLAP, Oasys suite (Adsec, Adcol).
- Ability with Finite Element software not required but would be advantageous.
- Good working knowledge of construction processes, methods and site practices.
- Understanding of designer's role and responsibilities under current legislation.
- Ability to identify, assess and highlight technical and commercial risks.
- Physical Working Environment
Office based in Hertfordshire, within travel to sites and external meetings as required.